Monday 10 December 2007

Pte Harry Jones, 2nd Bat Royal Welsh Fusiliers

On St David’s Day 1915, Private Harry Jones 8481of the 2nd Battalion RWF was killed in the Battle of Loos.
Harry Jones lived at 106 Mwrog St, and copies of his original correspondence to his wife Elisabeth (Nell), are still kept in their original form in the Ruthin archives. At 29 years of age, his writing is childish and clumsy, but he wrote to his wife on every opportunity, describing her as ‘my darling wife’ numerously in every correspondence. His ‘hiraeth’ comes through clearly, and his broken English and terrible spelling indicates his Welsh way of thought. There are at least 10 letters, and 18 post cards sent by him to his wife between August 1914 and his death in 1 March 1915.

He thanks his wife for the numerous parcels sent to him by family and neighbours, and for a scarf sent by Mrs Dowell who kept a grocers store in Mwrog Street. He has a very sweet tooth, and prefers cake and sweets to tobacco. He complains bitterly of the atrocious weather in the trenches, especially of the cold which is worse than when he was a hod carrier working on Ruthin building sites. His father’s health worries him, and he continually asks for him. He inquires lovingly for his children, and urges his wife to eat properly “I hope that you have eaten all the potatoes all right, and that the children are in good health as I find myself.” He alludes to a family death “I am very sorry that Charlie is gone d.”

On 17 December he writes home congratulating his wife on the birth of a little boy “send to the War Office telling them you’ve had a little baby for you to have some money for him”. On 29 December, longing to be home, Harry writes “I see in the letter you sent me that you have a name for the little baby. It is a very nice name indeed Mons Jones. I see you have put this name on it after the battle of Mons. I like it very much.”

On 31 December he thanks his wife for another parcel and says “I also received a parcel from the Mayor of Ruthin which was good of the Ruthin people.” He complains again of the cold and damp and “I came across Ted Evans that used to work with Mr Dowell, and he was very glad to see me, and I was very glad to see him. We are the only two from Ruthin in the battalion now.”

On 15 February, he answers his wife “I see from you that little Mary is coming on well at school and I am very glad indeed.” Then hints at his anguish at a domestic situation at home where Nell his wife is troubled by a neighbour. “My dear, if Lizzie wont leave you be, put the policeman on her back. I dont want you to row with her at all. If I was coming home I would kill her stone dead. Dont have anything to do with her Nell my dear. My dear loving wife.

A fortnight later Harry Jones was dead.

No comments: